Sunday, November 23, 2008

You Sure Aren't Madden Nation Material

I love football. I've been a fan as long as I can remember. I recall, back in elementary school as a wee towhead, spacing out during social studies, I'd be drawing helmets and coming up with clever mascots and logos (à la the USFL) such as the Chicago Great Danes (after my best friend Dane Johnson). Of course, as most of my friends and family know, I've been a Miami Dolphins fan throughout my football life. That affinity sprang to life after my Mom bought me a Starting Lineup figurine of Dan Marino. A love of the Nebraska Cornhuskers has naturally followed as I'm a citizen of the great state of Nebraska. So, throughout the years I've cultivated a healthy, non-fanatical love of the game of football. Although, I do thoroughly enjoy spending countless hours reading about the history of teams and players and viewing career statistics and records.

Anyway, I've lost track of my original point (which I don't think I've even made previous to now), which is that although I love football, I'm pretty terrible at football video games. You would think that a love of football and of video games I would be pretty good at football video games. Not so. Madden Nation material I am not. I can't even beat the computer! I can't imagine how paltry I would be against human competition. Usually, I'll get really excited after a watching a good game and I'll decide to try my hand on Madden 08 or NCAA 07. I may win a game or two, but usually I'll be getting beat and decide to turn the game off. Sigh. Did I forget to mention that I'm a poor sport, too? Oh well, sometimes you just have to admit that some things you're good at, and some things you're not.

No comments: